Monday, June 5, 2017

Upgrading Fedora

This is a quick note for those interested in using the Fedora Upgrade system.

My experience is one of resounding success.  I was pleasantly surprised to have upgraded from Fedora 23 to 24, and again from 24 to 25 with perfect ease.

I had one minor issue going from Fedora 23 to 24 where I had to remove a relatively unimportant third party package.  After removing it, the upgraded proceeded flawlessly.

I don't think I've ever upgraded an OS so seamlessly before. 

Kudos to the Fedora team!

===

P.S. ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR STUFF BEFORE ANY UPGRADES!

===

Edit. July 28, 2017:

An issue started occurring with one of my upgraded Fedora 25 systems.  Using VNC to remote to one of the upgraded systems appears to be partially broken.  I can login, but the Desktop and all of the Gnome Windowing system is blank, apart for the background.  I assume it might be a problem with policykit, but I am not yet sure.

The second system that I upgraded to Fedora 25 continues to run perfectly well with VNC.  Note that I use the same version of VNC server on both systems.

I attempted to downgrade to Fedora 24 by doing a clean install (keeping my /home partition intact), however VNC remained broken.

I then downgraded back to Fedora 23, and the issue is gone.  Obviously something in my /home/ directory is set in such a way that VNC in Fedora 24 and 25 fails to load Gnome correctly.  Prior to downgrading to Fedora 24 and 23, I attempted to look for the issue.  Unfortunately, no errors were pointing to the issue in either the audit logs, dmesg, or anywhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment